Wednesday, June 29, 2005

Wow!



I know I just posted last night, but today was so intense. I tried to start writing but I couldn't. I am still unsure of how I am going to paste this onto the kids' blog.

We started out the morning with a tsunami walk given by HiPhiPhi. Our bilingual Thai guide took us first to the medical center, which was a brand new 5 star (truly 5 star, not the ones you laugh about when you get there) that had opened up on the 24th of December. 2 days and it was gone, so the Thai owner donated the land for the clinic.
We also viewed footage of what happened that day, as well as photos documenting what volunteers and locals have accomplished. It wasn't unlike any of the news reels we all saw 6 months ago, except that we were standing where it had happened, saw photos of the hotel we are currently staying at (newly re-built of course). I had to look away a couple of times, and let my eyes wander around the room to a white board with a list of things to do. On this list were the normal things of any remote clinic- order new supplies, things of that nature. At the very bottom of the list, however, was a note to call someone about how to get the bones off the island. It really put it home.

Off we went to tour some of the damage, which was immense. So much has been done, and that HOPE made me want to cry. Several hotels, and a staff housing apartment was left exactly as it was the day the tsunami hit (sans human remains). We learned about what is going on with the Thai gov't- which seems a little convoluted, and reeks of injustice. And then, some of it makes sense to me. SOme of it. Apparantly, Thailand refused any donation. In some ways, I suppose, that is good- they could 'handle it themselves' , or something, and they are relatively better off than the other counties hit by this tragedy. But aside from flying and boating out people, they didn't come help with the rebuilding efforts. Help International Phi Phi started when a Dutch man who owned some cabanas out here, came out to assess his losses. He saw what happened and got this 100 percent donation-run organization off the ground. Volunteers help with rebuilding, yes, but the organization does so much more. They hire Thai workers to do some of the work (they have about 80 Thais employed right now- FYI, it is estimated that 294,000 Thais lost their jobs due to this tragedy), they sponsor the children's soccer team- and they are playing in tournaments in Bangkok!, and they also have a place where locals can go and log in a book what they need to get by day to day or to rebuild, and HiPhiPhi does what they can to provide this.

The main beach of Ton Sai is recovering rapidly, and all BY HAND, which is overwhelming. There is still a lot to be done, but smiles abound, and tourists are here (there were abuot 60 people at the meeting tonight, all new, and all volunteering tomorrow). The exceptions to this are some of the hotels we saw, which are less than 30km to the water. New Thai law is that hotels have to be at least that far away. So these hotels and staff housing are being used now more as an informational purpose, and apparantly, this translates to volunteers, many of them who planned to be here on a two week holiday, and have now been here for months.

After the tour, we decided we needed to do some more tourist things, so we could get an early start Thursday with volunteering, so we hired a long tail boat to Kho Phi Phi Leh. But as we left the harbor, the waves got really big, and Jamie got a little scared. ABout three waves later, I was, too, and the boat driver turned us around and took us to a secluded beach on our island instead. We had intended on snorkeling at Phi Phi Leh, so just adjusted, and jumped in the water closer to home. Jamie went first and, and I jumped in witout even hesitating, which is a little strange for me. It usually takes a little counting or coaxing. Once I am in, I am usually fine floating around checking out the fish and coral. I ducked down to see- no fish. Lots of coral, and then a piece of metal. I shot up rapidly out of the water, and my heart was pounding. There was nothing there, I am sure, but the thought that there might be something- even as small as a pair of reading glasses that hadn't been retrieved by the volunteer divers yet, was emotionally too much. I thought I was going to start crying, or perhaps get sick, but it was momentary. Jamie noticed my change, and cleared the way of the ladder so I could get back into the boat. So, ok. I guess I am just not ready for that....yet?

All of the volunteers meet at Carlito's Bar each night at 7:00 to find out what jobs are available the following day. The amount of people here to do just that is unreal. Mr. Lee, who is the Thai component of HiPhiPhi's leadership, spoke to us with sincere gratitude, sharing with us that just by being here, we were giving the Thai's hope. "A lot has happened behind us, " he said,"and this makes it possible to see what is in front of us. We thank you, thank you." This all makes me want to stay longer, or to come back for a longer period of time. It will be interesting to compare this to Ranong.

I think that is it for now.
Thinking of you all,
-rebecca

No comments: