Saturday, July 02, 2005

quick check-in


Hi all, just wanted to let you know we are safe here in Phuket, getting ready for the bus to Ranong tomorrow. We took a ferry from Phi Phi and it was pretty choppy. The people sitting out front (helm??) of the boat got thrashed! three of them came inside the cabin after a few waves, completely soaked through to the bone. It wasn't raining, or anything, but I did see my first funnel cloud to the left of us. It scared me for a sec, as it actually went all the way to the water, and water was spraying upwards. But I took a deep breath and reminded myself that the Thais do this trip several times daily all year long. About half way to Phuket (an hour?), the engine just shut off. COmpletely. Everyone kind of looked at each other, and the drivers tried to turn over the engine a couple of times unsuccessfully. Without the sea breeze, it got really hot!! Jamie and I looked at each other and started cracking up hysterically.

We all kind of moved up to the deck of the ship and made funny jokes about being stuck in the middle of the ocean (with lots of boats going past us, so we weren't too worried), and looked for the next funnel cloud. There was one, but very small. It took about twenty minutes, but we got to phuket safe and sound. Now we are in Karon beach, and it is almost devoid of tourists. Nice for us, but sucks for them. Got a GREAT place for 22 dollars- really nice restaurant and pool.


Trying to plan how we areoging to get to bangkok from Phuket, as there seems to be no more flights or something. I can't really tell, and all they keep saying is "yes" without ever showing me anything. So, mai ben rai (no problem), we will figure it out as we need to. Otherwise, just another squelcher in paradise. If you don;t hear from me for a couple of weeks,. I will get on the internet again on the 19th at the lastest.
Much love...

No comments: