Sunday, February 18, 2007

Culture Shock right here in the US


Such a bizarre place I landed in. At first, bland, and somewhat "Truman Show"-ish as each block I drive past looks exactly like the last. Weather is still and comfortable, people swim in February- outside- and there is a long wait outside the California Pizza Kitchen.

After two weeks, which feel like months by the way, much of that is unchanged, but I can also begin to see how this is just normal to people who grew up here. It's no wonder that there are people with an extreme focus on the superficial- the right body, the right clothes, being up to date on current fashion, trends, pop culture. THis is NOT Los Angeles, mind you. This is the O.C., a stretch of suburbia that runs about 100 miles between Los ANgeles and San Diego.

Near the beach is a different experience, I have been lucky to have been shown. THe beaches are gorgeous, and the 'city' life around it has, at least, a bit of character. Though it still creeps me out that I met friends for sushi in a strip mall that also contained a furniture store and a Ferrarri Shop. But this is normal to Southern California, in the same way walking into a home that has been converted into a coffee shop is normal to Portland, or a dog sitting inside of a nice brunch spot in San Francisco, or selling groceries in a restaurant in New Orleans, or going to Dunkin' Donuts for a GOOD cup of coffee in New York is normal. It's a cultural experience that I find fascinating and hysterically funny at the same time. Especially when last week, my grandmother was so concerned about me finding a grocery store- there's one on every corner!

Delivering flowers on Valentine's Day was interesting- not a job I would have ever imagined doing, but fun to liven up people's day. It took 10 hours to do about 4 runs.The first three were easy, the last one took 3 hours and was hardly worth the cash I made. But I learned a LOT about getting around this area, which is a gift when everything is so spread out.

Tutoring is going well, and I am working more than I expected or intended, but I am also recognizing that this is who I am. I am actually in the process of interviewing for a nanny position with a high-profile band. We'll see where that lands me. It certainly wasn't in the plan, but I am trying to walk into open doors as they show themselves to me. It could be a really fantastic experience.

I'll keep you all updated.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

From someone who loved seeing you for a short weekend - thank you for making the drive to san diego! Now that I'm in Monterey, I miss the weather there. We've been spending tons of time travelling between Kris' and my individual homes and SJO, but all this is better than Afghanistan! I hope the music treats you well in NOLA - kiss a few and toast to the joy of possibilities! xo-j