Saturday, November 10, 2012

Me encanta San Cristobal

Yes, it's touristy. But Mexican touristy. I could spend days wandering up and down the old streets looking at beautiful old homes and churches. San cristobal is located in a valley high in the mountains. The air is crisp and clean- such a treat after the smog of Xela.
Pauline mentioned that the whole Zapatista movement drew in the musicians and artists and clearly that is the case. Adorable ambient restaurants, bars and coffee shops line the streets. Highland Mayans come to the city to sell their beautiful textiles on the pedestrian walkways. The city feels safe and kind and of a manageable size. I could feel at home here (other than the bitter cold at night!) for some time.
Pauline, her friend Lisa and I will head back to Xela next week. And I will stay with them to finish my schooling with Ana. They have a nice clean WARM apartment and I will be healthier there.
Off to another day of smiling and meandering in San Cristobal.
Check out the guy playing a jawbone!

No comments: